The Health and Nutrition component of Head Start connects with families to ensure that children are on a schedule of well child care, including medical and dental. It engages children and families and exposes them to a variety of foods to promote a well-balanced diet mingled with movement/exercise. The Health and Nutrition component is goal oriented to produce an outcome that “children are happy and healthy when they begin the kindergarten journey”.
- Referrals to community medical and dental providers
- Screenings /exams to facilitate meeting Indiana EPSDT standards.
- Provide free meals with the CACFP program (See non-discrimination statements)
- Addressing nutritional needs/concerns of families and children.
- Ensuring kindergarten readiness in the areas of health and nutrition
PROGRAM PARTNERS: WIC, Hope Care Clinic, Family Health Center of Clark County, Dr. Fleck, Indiana University Southeast School of Nursing, Ivy Tech School of Nursing, Clark County Health Department, Purdue Extension Co-op, Clark Memorial Hospital, and many other community providers.
It is the policy of CASI- Head Start that any child enrolled in our program must have a completed Well Child Check-Up within 12 months of classroom entry date and the following tests/exams:
- Blood Pressure, Height, Weight- Please record results on the WCC Form.
- Hemoglobin Test (Annual)- Please do this test and fill in the results on the form. If results are not available at the time of the exam, please write in date test was done and “pending” under results. We will call your office at a later date for these results.
- Lead Screening (24 months) – No need to repeat. If the child has not had a lead test please do this test and fill in the results on the form. If results are not available at the time of the exam, please write in date test was done and “pending” under results. We will call your office at a later date for these results.
- Hearing/Vision Test- If you are able to do these test please do so. If you are unable please indicate so on the WCC Form. We will attempt to do this once they are enrolled in our program.
- Proof of Immunizations- Attach an updated Shot Record. The child cannot attend school without proof of immunizations. If a child is behind on his/her immunizations, we must have a statement indicating catch-up is in process.
- If the parent does not have Medicaid/HHW or health insurance, they need to contact Head Starts Health Office and speak to the nurse. The Health Office phone number is 288-6451 extension 2152 The fax number is 502-276-0695.
Please download the Form and complete the details… Click the pdf image to Download the form!